Saturday, April 6, 2013

White Lake Half Ironman

Here it was... My first Tri. I was nervous, excited, confused, and scared, but excited more than anything. Got to El Casa De Woody on Friday afternoon, unloaded the car then went on a little 4 mile jog with Alex. Came back, relaxed, went to walmart to get some supplies, then had AMAZING chicken lasagna made by Brandy. Later that night Erik and Shannon arrived, and after packing my transition bags, checking all my gear, and laying out my clothes, I hit the pillow for a great night's rest. Morning came and I had a bowl of oatmeal with PB (my go-to pre race meal) and we packed up and hit the road. We stopped at McD's because I really needed coffee so I could relieve myself before the race. Got to White Lake, checked in, put the bikes in transition, and waited for a little while. Because the water was 54 degrees, they gave a duathlon option, but I said "Heck no! I came here to do a TRIathlon". So we got into our tri shorts and wetsuits, did last minute checks, then stayed inside until about 5 minutes before our wave start. We got some pictures on the dock, then slowly crept into the cold cold water.
The gun signaled our start, and it soon felt like all swimming technique I had disappeared. I paddled, walked, and splashed as the group start collided and vied for position. Fine by me, go ahead! Once the crowd thinned out I crawled, breast stroked, and side stroked through the water. Everytime I submerged my head I felt like my heart was going to stop. It would be a while before I got out of the water, but honestly? I enjoyed it. Even when water splashed in my face, the wind blew, girls passed me, and my goggles fogged, I was having a blast. At last I caught sight of the dock and after 1.2 miles of "surviving", I was climbing out and unzipping my wetsuit. I tried to smile at Brandy and Shannon but I could not move my face. Getting into transition I took my time; Alex was right behind me and he and Erik and I were wanting to try to stick together. Erik came out of the water about 3 minutes later so I just waited. Had some energy bites and we were all headed out.
As soon as I got on the bike I lost sight of Alex and Erik. I wanted to stick with them but I was just feeling really good. Kept up a real good clip but boy did I have to pee. After realizing 20 miles in that there were not going to be facilities, I pulled over and relieved myself. I felt like a new person! The road was marked every 5 miles on this pancake flat course so I tried to keep a steady interval of fluid and nutrition intake. Some gus, some blocks, and alternating between water and gatorade. Despite having a constant headwind no matter which way I turned, I was legitimately enjoying this bike ride. I was passing a good number of people and maintaining a strong pace. From about 30 miles on I was never out of top gear, though the bumps on the road were driving me insane! I finished my gatorade as planned and pulled into the final transition area after 56 fun miles.
Change shoes, shirt, helmet, and shades off, hat on. Let's go! I felt great coming out of the chute; smiles and thumbs up for the cameras and I was out on the road. Soon after my legs got a little sluggish but overall I felt fine. The first 4 miles flew by and there were aid stations about every mile where I would grab a cup of water or heed and a handful of goldfish (so good!!). The ice cold wet towels were a real treat. Miles started to feel slower though I knew I wasn't really slowing down. The out-and-back course let me see a lot of people in both directions so I got to be motivated and motivate others. Reached the turnaround and started back, knowing I was just 6.55 miles from glory! I passed Erik and Alex going the other way at the 9 mile mark (6 miles for them) and they encouraged me to keep pushing. I felt fantastic throughout the whole run, keeping up my fluid intake, and taking two gu's during the run. I came back to the gas station at about the 11 mile mark, then the last aid station at the 12 mile mark, and for the first time of the day, I felt like crap. I had told myself I would sprint that last mile all out, but I quickly discovered that would not happen. I kept up the pace, but I knew I wouldn't be going faster. The final stretch appeared and I pulled into the finish area amongst cheers from strangers and from Brandy and Shannon, then as I heard the director call my name, I was done. And I was SAD!
I guess it's because with 3 events it feels like 3 new races, but the time flew by and I did not want it to end. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, but I really wanted the race to be longer. It was so much fun, probably the most fun race I have ever done. I had some trouble breathing when I finished (I think it was aqualung) but after several bottles of water I was ok. Alex and Erik pulled in about 30 minutes later and I caught sight of them as I was packing up my transition area so I ran over to cheer them in. We all had a great race; Erik and Alex had been battling injuries but they both did great. We grabbed some pizza, checked our placings, packed up and headed home. Thankful Shannon was there to drive so I could be absent of mind in my tired state. We got back to Alex's, had a showerbeer (so good!!!), then met Major and Mrs. D at the pub for burgers.
Awesome weekend, and I have decided I want to attempt the full distance ironman. So that WILL be happening in September. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment